Be informed. Be selective.
Your knowledge is your single best tool to improve your wellbeing and live a longer, healthier & happier life.
This series of Beyond Labels will introduce you to Jojoba Oil, a commonly used liquid wax from the seeds of the Jojoba Plant, an ever-green shrub, that despite its botanical name Simmondsia chinensis, is not native to China but grows in Mexico and southwest US. It grows up to 1-2 meters, and is extremely resistant to dry weather and the desert and can survive up to 200 years in the wild.
What is amazing about Jojoba, and where do we find it in our daily lives?
Yes, we know, it’s taken you too long to discover all of this :-)
- Jojoba oil is found in the manufacturing of shampoos, lipsticks, make up, cleansing products and in face, hand, and body lotions.
- Leaves of jojoba are an important part of food of bighorn sheep, deer, javelina and livestock. Squirrels, rabbits and large species of birds like to eat jojoba nuts. Eaten in large quantities, the seeds are toxic and are not suitable for the diet of mammals and humans.
- It is an exceptionally stable vegetable oil, differently from most of the natural extracts. It is very resistant to oxidation and high temperatures (even 300 °C) and has no expiry date.
- It stops animal cruelty: Sperm whales were massively hunted in the past as a source of wax (called spermaceti) which was widely used in the cosmetic and pharmaceutical industry and for the manufacture of industrial lubricants. After discovery of the high-quality jojoba oil, it started to replace spermaceti in all industrial products. The cultivation and extraction of oil from jojoba is much easier, cheaper and a more humane method when compared to killing an endangered whale species.
- It is very mild and mothers apply this oil to delicate baby skin and nappy rashes.
- Even though we call it oil, it is actually wax and solidifies if placed in the fridge.
- Highly soothing, antioxidant, calming, regulates oil levels as the chemical structure of Jojoba oil is similar to human sebum.
- It is a natural hormone balancer due to its Vitamin B complex.
TubTime has hand selected the best products with Jojoba oil. Don’t know where to start?
Why not with a facial treatment? We recommend the Ultra Nourishing Face Mask by Living Nature, an intense and ultra-nourishing skin treatment. The nutritious mask will nurture and restore dry or damaged skin.
For a full body treatment, we suggest the Vegan Lavender Body Scrub from SALT by Hendrix, infused with coconut and jojoba oil.
OR the bestselling
Intense Hydration Coconut Elixir Creme with Neroli by SALT by Hendrix; * Certified Organic, enriched with organic Neroli, Jojoba, Rosehip and Coconut Oil. This organic base crème will boost your skin with vitamin E + antioxidants.
More on these ingredients soon. Stay tuned as always.